Sunday 26 May 2013

Summer is almost here

26th May 2013

So the allotment site is now buzzing with all sorts of activity. A new family have moved in to the plot a couple of doors along and we have new neighbours the other way too. There is plenty of enthusiasm it would seem and the occasional  day of good weather is maintaining everyone's spirits.

As our site is not owned by but under custody of the local council and there are currently negotiations to ascertain responsibilities for the site and there are certain things we hopefully can benefit from. The land is owned by an Oxford University College but they don't  partake in any administrative activities, largely leaving everything to the local council who don't seem to be very interested in the site. We have learned today that a meeting will be held to decide what is to be done. I intend to take part.



Today, we planted out some 'Little Gem' lettuce. I plant them on a ridge to allow the  air  to circulate and then I keep them covered with fleece to protect them from all manner of pests including flea beetle and pigeons.
Some time was taken up talking to the neighbours and then I planted some chives. I have a pot in the garden in which they have got too big for their boots so I turned the chives out, split the plant into three, replanted one section in the pot and planted the remaining two in the border with some other herbs. 

Finally, I planted a square of pea 'Boogie', erecting a netting cover to keep off the pigeons.

28th May 2013

I haven't managed to get to the allotment today but I have been able to make the most of a break in the rain to sow some seeds at home. Since last year proved to be difficult in terms of getting stuff to germinate because it remained so cold, I have taken to starting more plants off at home to be sure.

So I sowed some Parsnip 'White Gem', Swede 'Best of All', Leek 'Below Zero' and some more lettuce 'Little Gem'.
Additionally, I sowed some Primula denticulata hybrids, Primula veris and Myosotis 'Symphony Blue'.



No comments:

Post a Comment